What's the point of Networking?
This is the first of a 3 part series that goes through the why network, how to network for success and build relationships that last a lifetime.
First thing to know about Networking
So Mila, what is the whole point of going to an event if I am not going to get business?
I need more business! I need to make sales and get leads.
TO DEVELOP RELATIONSHIPS, my friend! Think of it as the dating process of business. You meet someone, you shake hands, you see how they act, how often they show up, chat to them and find out more about what they do, their attitude, how they react and if you feel a connection then exchange business cards. (I will be covering "after the event and following up" in the blog posts to follow)
Top 10 Tips for Networking
- Pick your event carefully! Find a busy, like minded group that has great reviews. I like to go to events where I learn something. If you are in Vancouver BC or visiting these two best groups I found: the #veg Vancouver Entrepreneur Group with Dan Lok my Mentor always a valuable business lessons from Dan and quality speakers. The other group is Internet Mastermind Meetup that Matt Astifan hosts. Always quality speakers. And where I met Dan 2 years ago. Thanks Matt!
- Set your intention for the event. Who would you like to meet? How many connections do you want to make? Try to say hello to at least 3 to 5 professionals while you are there. No need to chat up the whole room. You are looking for key connections.
- Ask questions then shut up and listen! lol, Now I say this with love.....I am a talker! I literally tell myself to be quiet in my head. The best skill in business is listening!
- Be prepared with a few questions in advance. Such as:
- 1) What do you do? or What brought you here today?Pretty standard but good opener.
- 2) What is your biggest challenge in your business or life right now. (You never know what you can help someone with by referring another great business! Only refer companies and people that you like, know and trust : )
- 3) What do you do for fun? Always a good one and you learn so much about your new friend.
- 4) What's the most exciting thing going on in your business right now?
- Be yourself! Everyone is there to network. Pick anyone out of the crowd and say hello. It's just being friendly. They will appreciate your hello and outgoing nature. Even if you are a bit of an introvert. Nobody knows! They will think you are awesome!
- NEVER EVER under any circumstances give your business card out before you are asked for it! Unless you can add value to the person's life or you are inviting them to speak at another event.
- Dress for success but yet comfortable. The last thing you need is to feel uncomfortable because your pants are too tight!
- Watch the amount of perfume and cologne. Everybody wants to smell good but no need to overdo it. Some people, like me, are highly sensitive to scents. I break out in a rash, can't breath and my eyes turn red. It ruins my night. I'm being selfish with this tip :)
- Do go early. You can find a spot easily, chat up the person next to you before all the chatter and relax before the speaker.
- Take notes. Be engaged and pay attention.
- Do thank the host of the event before you go home. NOBODY does this. Or very few. The host of the event appreciates a thank you. They work hard to put on a quality meeting. It takes a bunch of organization and dedication. So show a little love.
- Please stay tuned for part 2 & 3 of Networking for Sensitive Peeps. I will be going through my personal routine to prep for the event and how to follow up professionally and self care after the big day.
Make friends and do good business with people you know that do good business. You just never know what kind of deal can be made when you get out there and meet some new people. It could be your next million dollar idea!
Get out there and have fun!
Hope you enjoyed this vlog, please like, share and subscribe to share the love. Thanks for watching :) Be sure to check in for part 2 How to Prepare Yourself for a Networking Event Energetically It's my secret steps to keep your energy high and not burnout after!